Wednesday, April 14, 2010

second chances

You know the world is full of second chances. And after I got laid off, I was given a second chance. First to be a stay at home mommy to my girls and to spend some quality time with them while they are this young. Then in the Fall, I was given another second chance. This time the opportunity to go back to school and earn another degree. After much debate I decided to plunge into the medical field and am pursuing surgical technician. I was scared as I prepared to take my first course - Anatomy and Physiology I. Science was never my strong suit growing up and the first time around I totally skipped it since I went to a liberal arts college and was going towards a Bachelor of the Arts degree.

Much to my surprise (and probably a few others) I did really well. Like straight A well. Because of this, this Saturday I will be inducted into the college's chapter of Phi Beta Kappa (Honor Society). I am excited and proud that my girls are going to be there and see mommy do this. I want them to know the importance of education and doing well. And I hope this demonstrates that to them....

And in case those that were surprised thought this was fluke- I am on my way to having straight As again this semester in A & P 2 and Medical Terminology. My A& P 2 instructor is a former Colonel in the Army and is very intimidating but at the same time I have learned so much from a clinical perspective from him.

Of course Fall could be another story when I take Microbiology -EEK!

No comments: